Be the first to post a comment! To write a comment please log in or register.
City: New York, NY
Country: USAAddress: 1048 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10028
Website: www.neuegalerie.org Uploaded artworks: 1 Uploaded artist: 1
The Neue Galerie New York (German: "New Gallery") is a museum of early twentieth-century German and Austrian art and design located at 86th Street and Fifth Avenue in New York City. It is one of the most recent additions to New York City's famed Museum Mile, which runs from 83rd to 105th streets on Fifth Avenue in the Upper East Side of Manhattan.
The collection of the Neue Galerie is divided into two sections. The second floor of the museum houses works of fine art and decorative art from early twentieth-century Austria, including paintings by Gustav Klimt, Oskar Kokoschka, and Egon Schiele. The third floor exhibits various German works from the same era, including art movements such as Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider), Die BrĂźcke (The Bridge), and the Bauhaus. Featured artists on this floor include Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Lyonel Feininger, Otto Dix, and George Grosz.
In 2006, Lauder purchased Klimt's painting Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I from Maria Altmann on behalf of the Neue Galerie. Citing a confidentiality agreement, Lauder would only confirm that the purchase price was more than the last record price of $104.2 million US for Picasso's 1905 Boy With a Pipe. The press reported the price for the Klimt at US$135 million, which would make it at that time the most expensive painting ever sold. It has been on display at the museum since July 2006.
The museum is housed in an elegant Louis XIII/Beaux-Arts structure located on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 86th Street. Commissioned by industrialist William Starr Miller in 1914 from the New York-based architecture firm CarrĂ¨re and Hastings, it was subsequently occupied by Grace Vanderbilt, the wife of Cornelius Vanderbilt III, and then by the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research before being purchased by Lauder and Sabarsky in 1994. The building was fully renovated by German architect Annabelle Selldorf and restored to its original state before the Neue Galerie opened on November 16, 2001.
After logging in the following functions will be available:
- Uploading new artworks, artists and museums
- Posting exhibitions, glossary and library entries
- Adding comments, blogging, voting
- Adding new infos to objects
- Recording your game-scores to the Hall of Fame
You can also use TerminArtors Social Connect to log in.