Be the first to post a comment! To write a comment please log in or register.
Country: UKAddress: Trumpington Street, Cambridge CB2 1RB
Website: www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk Uploaded artworks: 162 Uploaded artist: 100
The Fitzwilliam Museum is the art and antiquities museum of the University of Cambridge and is located on Trumpington Street, Cambridge, England. It receives around 300,000 visitors annually.
The museum was founded in 1816 with the bequest of the library and art collection of the 7th Viscount FitzWilliam. The bequest also included Â£100,000 "to cause to be erected a good substantial museum repository". The collection was initially placed in the old Perse Grammar School in Free School Lane. It was moved in 1842 to the Old Schools (at that time the University Library). The "Founder's Building" itself was designed by George Basevi, completed by C. R. Cockerell and opened in 1848; the entrance hall is by Edward Middleton Barry and was completed in 1875. The first stone of the new building was laid by Gilbert Ainslie in 1837.
The Egyptian Galleries at the Fitzwilliam Museum re-opened in 2006 after a two-year, Â£1.5 million programme of refurbishment, conservation and research.
The museum has five departments: Antiquities; Applied Arts; Coins and Medals; Manuscripts and Printed Books; and Paintings, Drawings and Prints.
Together these cover antiquities from Ancient Egypt, Sudan, Greece and Rome, Roman and Romano-Egyptian Art, Western Asiatic displays and a new gallery of Cypriot Art; applied arts, including English and European pottery and glass, furniture, clocks, fans, armour, Chinese, Japanese and Korean art, rugs and samplers; coins and medals; illuminated, literary and music manuscripts and rare printed books; paintings, including masterpieces by Simone Martini, Domenico Veneziano, Titian, Veronese, Rubens, Van Dyck, Frans Hals, Canaletto, Hogarth, Gainsborough, Constable, Monet, Degas, Renoir, CÃ©zanne and Picasso and a fine collection of 20th century art; miniatures, drawings, watercolours and prints.
Many items in the museum are on loan from colleges of the University, for example an important group of impressionist paintings owned by King's College, which includes CÃ©zanne's 'The Abduction' and a study for 'Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte' by Seurat.
The Museum's collection of Pre-Raphaelite paintings includes a version of Ford Madox Brown's The Last of England, voted 8th greatest painting in Britain in 2005's Radio 4 poll, the Greatest Painting in Britain Vote.
There is also the largest collection of 16th century Elizabethan virginal manuscript music written by some of the most notable composers of the time. Composers such as William Byrd, Doctor John Bull, Orlando Gibbons and Thomas Tallis. (Source: Wikipedia)
After logging in the following functions will be available:
- Uploading new artworks, artists and museums
- Posting exhibitions, glossary and library entries
- Adding comments, blogging, voting
- Adding new infos to objects
- Recording your game-scores to the Hall of Fame
You can also use TerminArtors Social Connect to log in.