Be the first to post a comment! To write a comment please log in or register.
Romanelli, Giovanni Francesco (1610 - 1662)
Angelica encountering the wounded MedoroDate: 1646-48
Technique: Oil on canvas
Museum: Ashmolean Museum
Size: 61.6 x 76.3 cm,
Notes: The wounded Medoro is tended by Angelica, while Cupid ensures she will fall in love with him (Ariosto, Orlando Furioso, XIX, 19). A pentimento is visible, where the arrow was placed further to the right. The painting may have been made for Mazarin during Romanelli's first visit to France in 1646-8, although there are arguments for a dating of a decade earlier. It was engraved by Jean Charles Le Vasseur as Tancred and Erminia.
After logging in the following functions will be available:
- Uploading new artworks, artists and museums
- Posting exhibitions, glossary and library entries
- Adding comments, blogging, voting
- Adding new infos to objects
- Recording your game-scores to the Hall of Fame
You can also use TerminArtors Social Connect to log in.