Be the first to post a comment! To write a comment please log in or register.
Provost, Jan (1462/5 - 1529)
The Virgin and Child in a LandscapeDate: early 16th century
Movement: Renaissance (Northern)
Theme: New Testament
Technique: Oil on wood
Museum: National Gallery
Size: 60.2 x 49.5 cm,
Notes: The object held by the Child is a toy that could be made to rise and fall. Its shape recalls the Cross on which the adult Christ will be crucified. The pot of carnations on the right probably symbolises Christ's Passion. The extensive and detailed landscape background is typical of Netherlandish painting in the early 16th century.
After logging in the following functions will be available:
- Uploading new artworks, artists and museums
- Posting exhibitions, glossary and library entries
- Adding comments, blogging, voting
- Adding new infos to objects
- Recording your game-scores to the Hall of Fame
You can also use TerminArtors Social Connect to log in.